5 Tips: Black Friday Car Safety from Ourisman Kia in Chantilly, Va.
Ourisman Chantilly, your home for Kia cars in Virginia, says, “Happy Thanksgiving!” and, “Let the games begin!”
The Christmas shopping season is here and consumers are all-in for big day-after-Thanksgiving discounts. The National Retail Foundation estimates that 152 million people will tackle retail sales Thanksgiving night and all day on Friday.
Thursday night shoppers may be sleepy after stuffing themselves with big Thanksgiving meals. Friday morning shoppers may be sleepy because of the early hour. Even the best drivers could be a little off their game. So, both new Kia owners and old jalopy drivers need to prepare for traffic problems and short tempers, especially in parking lots. There’s just no way around it.
Drivers can be proactive and cutoff their own stressors before they start. Follow these five tips to avoid unnecessary drama on Black Friday.
- “Exercise caution when backing out,” says Shawn Conrad, executive director of the International Parking Institute. According to IPI, 25 percent of car accidents in parking lots happen while backing out of a parking space. Be on the lookout for sudden moves by pedestrians and other vehicles during this maneuver.
- Use of the headlights lessens the risk of a car accident, even during daylight hours. So, turn them on before hitting the gas pedal.
- “Perching” on someone who is about to exit a parking spot adds stress for both parties. Begin the parking search in a lot that is farther from the door. Make it an opportunity to walk off that second piece of pecan pie (or to eat another one later).
- Be a considerate pedestrian by walking to the side of parking lot driving lanes instead of in the middle of them. Also, no texting while walking near moving cars.
- Follow the rules of the road… er, parking lot. Handicapped parking spots are only for disabled shoppers. Stay within the posted speed limits and abide by directional markings on the pavement.
If shopping mall sales are not on the after-Thanksgiving itinerary, come by Ourisman Chantilly Kia and browse through all of the shiny new 2012 Kia models. Pick one out to put under the tree. Holiday prices end Nov. 30.