2022 Chevy Bolt EUV.
Photo credit: Brooke Crothers
When it comes to new electric vehicles, the Chevy Bolt is a bargain. Meanwhile, Tesla continues to raise the prices of its best-selling models.
The Model Y is arguably the hottest electric car in the US, with Tesla posting record sales for the Model 3 and Model Y combined in the second quarter. The Bolt also showed strong sales in the U.S. in the second quarter, having ranked third-best-selling electric vehicle behind the Model Y and Model 3 in the first quarter.
While the 2021 Bolt has the same design as the original 2017, GM has revised the 2022 Bolt EV and introduced a completely new Bolt EUV model (see picture above).
So what about pricing?
- Model Y – $ 52,990 *: The Model Y Long Range (cheapest option) is now $ 52,990, a $ 3,000 increase from earlier this year. It comes with two engines and four wheel drive.
- Model 3 – $ 39,990 *: The Tesla Model 3 Standard Range Plus (cheapest option) is priced at $ 39,990, a $ 3,000 increase from $ 36,990 earlier this year.
- 2021 Chevy Bolt EV: typically under $ 28,000. Check out these TrueCar deals.
- 2022 Chevy Bolt EV – about $ 32,000 Starting price: The 2022 Chevy Bolt EV now meets dealer lots.
- Chevy Bolt EUV 2022 – about $ 34,000 Entry-level price: the slightly larger Chevy Bolt EUV is now also arriving at dealerships. It offers a few more features than the Bolt EV, including GM’s Super Cruise hands-free driving.
—Model 3 Standard Range Plus: 263 miles
—Model Y Long Range Plus: 326 miles.
– Chevy Bolt EV: 259 miles.
—Bolt EUV: 247 miles.
MPGe: The Model 3 has a combined EPA-rated 134 MPGe **, the Model Y 125 MPGe, the Bolt 118, the Bolt EUV 115.
Federal tax credit: Neither the Tesla models nor the Chevy Bolt qualify for a federal tax credit because Tesla and GM have exceeded the maximum number for qualification. However, you will qualify for state incentives, which in some cases can be significant (e.g. California).
Why is this happening?
There is a major model year update for 2022: The existing Bolt is being revised and Chevy is introducing the brand new Bolt EUV.
Because of this, you are seeing Bolts with a price to move in 2021.
But what’s different this time around is that prices for the 2022 Bolt are much lower, starting at $ 31,995. That’s about $ 5,500 less than the MSRP for the current base model. And the slightly larger Chevrolet Bolt EUV 2022 starts at $ 33,995.
The 2022 Bolts will include options like GM’s adaptive cruise control and Super Cruise technology – both new to the Bolt.
Model 3 and Model Y:
The price increases for the Model 3 / Y, on the other hand, are a mystery, as Tesla no longer responds to media inquiries these days. And it should be noted that Tesla has also lowered the price of the Model 3 and Model Y. That happened at the beginning of the year. However, there has been a net increase so far this year.
* Price starting July 2021. Tesla changes prices frequently.
** MPGe: How far a car can travel on the equivalent of one gallon of gasoline.
Comments can be sent by direct message to “twitter.com/mbrookec”